Thursday, January 21, 2016

Embroidery set-up.

One of the great things about embroidery is that at the entry level, it can be very cheap. I was keeping my floss in ziplock bags in an old cardboard whisky tube. For projects I wanted to travel with, I would cut lengths of floss and put them on cardboard thread holders and put those and my folding scissors (inherited with my grandmother's sewing box) in an old sunglasses case. That setup is not particularly handy now that I am balancing more than two projects at a time, though, and I wanted my floss options more easily available, especially for one particular project where I am choosing colours as I go.

This is my solution! Two packs of metal shower curtain hangers from the fabric store (about $5 for 24) to organize thread by colour and/or project (the DMC colours for my Canevas Folies kit are organized by letter group) and my home made pasta hanger! I seriously love this solution at the moment, though of course in the future I will want to keep the dust and light away from my floss, at which point I will probably invest in one of those tool/fastener organizers from Canadian Tire when they go on sale.

No comments: