Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Divided

I've recently realized that my social media presence has sort of ossified into my separate interests in a way that means I feel unable to share anything that isn't consistent with previous posts (presumably the reason people decided to follow me), or with my publicly searchable online identity (I am still job searching after all). Twitter is for nature and environment and history; Instagram is where I post nature/landscape/garden photos, ditto for tumblr, plus landscape design. My Wordpress portfolio/blog has so many expectations attached to it, I can never come up with a post that belongs there. I even felt like I was breaking the rules when I created a Flickr album to hold embroidery pictures. 

My point? Well, I think I'm going to start using this old blog to park random thoughts as well as photos of my miscellaneous activities and hobbies. Yes, it's sort of funny that I'm doing this here only because I feel safe that no one is actually going to read this blog**, because then what is the point of posting online? But lately I've been feeling a bit nostalgia for the heady days of ten years ago when frequently-updated personal blogs abounded on the internet. Plus this saves me the effort of coming up with yet another online presence that I will feel bound to apply rules to about content and intent etc. etc. Past baggage is actually very freeing in this case! For instance, I'm not even going to bother cleaning up this phone-composed blog post for public consumption, I'm just going to post as-is.

**Edited to add, yes, I may have a handful of blog followers here still. Hello! I would be very pleased if something I post in the future interests you; I just want to warn you that much of what I post might not interest you in the slightest, but it will probably interest me.

1 comment:

Morgan Crowley said...

Ooh random projecty post away!