Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Three Slides and the point of the thesis.

Over a week ago now, my MLA class had our conference day to present our thesis research. My presentation was a bit of a let-down, as the Powerpoint presenter notes disappeared somewhere between my computer and the presentation computer. I froze. It was not pretty. Fortunately, I had time for one question, and a lovely classmate asked me a question I could answer, and show that I really have been researching and thinking about the subject matter.

Anyway! (aside: I really think "anyway" is my signature word. I use it ALL THE TIME, in my head, in my emails, in conversation. What does it mean that "anyway" is my word? Is it a strong, unseen undercurrent influencing my life and my decisions? Who knows)

Anyway, it's been a while since I posted anything here and I don't have much extra brain power right now to experience 'life' in a way that I would actually have anything to talk about, so I thought I might share three of the slides from my presentation. If you click on them, I think it will take you through to my Flickr page so you can see them embiggened.

Motifs

These motifs are taken from Elizabeth Epperly's book Through Lover's Lane: L.M. Montgomery's photography and visual imagination. In my thesis, they represent just one aspect of LMM's landscape aesthetic.

Untitled

This slide was a prompt for talking about the other aspects of LMM's appreciation of nature that made up her landscape aesthetic - but again, with the freezing, it was more of a prompt for me to wave at the screen and say, "L. M. Montgomery liked to garden. In the spring. And the summer. She really liked... to garden." Seriously, it was really unusual for me! Normally you can't get me to stop talking.

heritage/literary comparison

This was my concluding slide where I was supposed to draw together the point of my thesis. I think I sort of did. Anyway, (anyway!) the point of my research is that if landscape architects understand the literary landscape, practice 'reading' the landscape, and can incorporate this knowledge into their landscape analysis and design, then we will just have better designed landscapes all round, that truly speak to the meaning of a place and to the people experiencing it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the xoncluding thougjts. Really spoke to me as to why you love what you will be doing. Making a difference.