Saturday, January 14, 2012

Devil's Wheelbarrows

Devils Wheelbarrows

My father has always called skate eggs "devil's wheelbarrows" so that, in turn, is what I have always called them. Wikipedia says alternate (colloquial) terms for a skate egg is mermaid's purse or devil's purse. I wonder where the wheelbarrow came from, then? Anyway, there were many skate eggs on the shoreline south of Virginia Beach (near Back Bay Wildlife Refuge - I don't know the name of the beach) on the day we were there. All these were found within an 8 foot diameter, and then abandoned to the waves and sea foam.

In other news, you might notice I did some fiddling today with my layout and theme. I was bored with the old one, particularly because my photos ended up too small. I hope this is an improvement, but if it isn't, please let me know. I'm only writing a thesis so there's always a time for some procrastination. I worked quite diligently on the thesis today, so I gave myself permission to make that joke.

No comments: