Thursday, April 09, 2009

Pysanky

Pysanky red
My best friend decided we needed to learn how to decorate pysanky (Ukrainian easter eggs) this year. I was more than happy to go along. We took a 3-hour class with a local artist last Saturday, and then had to fend off headaches/migraines for the rest of the day! Note: staring into a candle for hours may be hazardous to your health.

Once I learned to only decorate in bright light, the eyesight issue was mostly resolved. I decorated the egg above - my second attempt - last Saturday, and the one below (for my best friend, hence the initials) tonight. In this second egg, I was layering light blue over red, and took the egg out before the red was completely gone. While wet it was still a dark purple colour, but unfortunately it dried navy blue. I don't have an issue with navy blue, but I know my friend J. wanted eggs in more pastel colours. Sorry, J! Maybe on my next try.

Pysanky

No comments: