Monday, March 23, 2009

Johnny jumps early

I will absolutely not be discouraged by the 15 cm (6 inches) of snow predicted for this afternoon and overnight, because I have steeled myself for snowfall well into April.* I am optimistic that, even though only the top 3 inches of ground has thawed, whatever snow falls is not here to stay. Still, I won't refrain from calling the first flower of the season a little premature, not that I'm going to complain. Tough little johnny jump-up won't be fazed by the looming blanket of snow, anyway.

First flower

Oh lawd, I just realized I'm in my purple prose phase of spring (note: I was restraining myself up above). It's usually brought on by spending a sunny March afternoon doing garden chores, and can only be cured by a healthy dose of L.M. Montgomery novels. I'll have to hold off on that for now.

*Updated to add: CBC radio just reported that the snowfall record for March 23 was in 2005, when we got 40 cm (16 inches) of snow - if I wasn't planning on complaining before, I'm certainly not now.

No comments: