Thursday, January 01, 2009

Pig Bums for Christmas

pig bums

I don't mean to be rude by forcing pig bums on you right away, but I want to share what I think is the absolute cutest angle of the gifts I made for my nephews this Christmas. I had an excessive amount of fun shaping these two pig butts (as well as the rest of the pigs) out of newspaper and masking tape, before covering them in paper mache.

The idea for my piggy bank gifts came from me and my very thin wallet, insruction from this online tutorial that I found, and the knowledge that every 2-to-4 year-old enjoys dropping money in piggy banks and then shaking it out on the floor - an operation that started within moments of my nephews opening their gifts.

And since you've forgiven the pig butts so far as to continue reading, here is the more conventional angle - the little piggy faces:

pig faces

5 comments:

kj said...

Great piggies! I've been thinking about making some piggybanks for my now three-year-old goddaughters for their upcoming birthday, and found these inspiring! Did you use a salt container too (like in the tutorial?) What did you use for legs and tails? They look impressively smooth, those pigs you made...nice job.

Sarah O. said...

Thanks for your comment! I wondered for a bit what to use as the container base, because salt does not come in cardboard containers here in Canada like it apparently does in the US (unless it is seasalt, but then it is too narrow and tall) - however, I was fortunate to find salt containers at the dollar store. I didn't want to use plastic or metal b/c I wasn't sure if it would trap moisture. Another option was one of those cardboard/paper mache gift boxes you find at dollar stores or craft stores, but I couldn't find any in the right size.

The legs are just twisted newspaper, the tail is wire with paper wound around it - this was fine for the 4-year-old, but the 2-year-old had it bent out of shape within minutes (not that I didn't expect that - he's a bruiser!). One thing I would do differently is have the tail coiled up against the pig, so it is merely a bump. Another thing I would do is cut the money slot when I am still at the paper mache stage - I waited too late and had to use masking tape (painted black) around the slot to prevent the paste from flaking away from the edge, and varathane over that to bond it better to the pig.

amy said...

Great job! I love your pigs. Just stumbled across them today and am now inspired to make my own. the paint detailing on their face is awesome & they look so adorable!

amy said...

i hope you don't mind that i pinned your pigs on pinterest. i could not help myself. in the past 2 hours there has been 13 repins & 3 likes. i will remove it if you want but i loved them so much, i wanted to share. :)

Sarah O. said...

Hi Amy, sorry your comments didn't show up right away, I didn't realize I had comment moderation turned on.

I definitely don't mind when my posts are shared, though of course I like to know that I am being given attribution. So, thank you for the heads up! I appreciate it.

Thanks for the compliments,
S.