Monday, September 15, 2008

Convoy Cup 2008

I didn't take any pictures from the Convoy Cup, but I may "borrow" some from my mother later. Briefly, the Convoy Cup is a sailing race from Halifax Harbour down to Cross Island (near Lunenburg), and back. We took about 20 hours to finish the race, and placed 4th in the spinnaker class of (I believe) 15 boats. We did shifts of 4 people, 3 hours on and 3 hours off, and made a number of sail changes, from the #1 jib, down to the #2 and back up again, an A-kite run, and a full spinnaker run.

One of the bloggers I follow wrote a post about the shift towards autumn and the thinning veil - one symptom of which is the behaviour of animals all around us. I certainly have been noticing more and more animal activity lately, and our sail was no exception. We had a number of whale sightings, the odd seal, fish jumping in the harbour, hunting osprey, the ubiquitous flocks of seagulls, and even, on my 10 p.m. - 1 a.m. shift, a porpoise swimming alongside us and playing in our bow wake.

It was cloudy throughout the night, but the race wasn't entirely without starlight - as the boat moved through the water, our wake triggered a phosphorescence that made the water glitter with hundreds of infinitisimal little sparks of light. It was the first time I have seen ocean phosphorescence, and it was entrancing.

I can't believe sailing is almost over for the year!

1 comment:

Sacred Suzie said...

Way to go! That sounds like a fantastic race and I would have been completely distracted by all the wild and wonderful ocean life around me. Sounds absolutely amazing!

Thank you so much for the author referral, that's awesome. I'm always looking for good books and yes, I demand strong and independent female characters and they're not always around. Thank you again! I have placed a hold on it through the library and can't wait to get it.