Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Balm

Last week I saw this picture over at a blog I read and was absolutely entranced. It's beautiful. It also reminded me that hummingbirds like bee balm, and my one-year-old bee balm was planning on finally blooming (its first year was rough).

I was very, very pleased, then, the first day the flowers were fully open, to meet a male hummingbird while I was out admiring the bee balm, yarrow, and blanketflower. He doesn't come to the feeders (I think he's a polygamist, honest, he likes to keep his home life and his home life separate), so I'm glad to see I can nourish him somehow. Anyway, the very next day I was contemplating the flowers (yes, I do that a lot, but I'm a gardener, remember?) when a female hummingbird started feeding from the bee balm, less than an arm's length away from me.

Anyway, long story short, my picture isn't half so lovely as the one over at Blue Ridge blog, but she's a professional, and I'm just glad I got the chance to document a little slice of summer! Without any further ado:

afternoon snack

No comments: