Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Still here...

... But busy. I've started a new job working at a local garden centre, where I unfortunately have more hours (all of them on cash, pah) than I can manage. Things will be changing on both counts, I have decided. The thesis is languishing, incomplete on my hard drive, even as our garden forges ahead for summer.

Mom and I planted some tulips back in September and tried to time the early, mid and late-bloomers with phases of cheerful colours. The results were surprisingly successful and beautiful (beginners luck?), and certainly helped us work out the last, lingering winter blues. I cut some tulips on Saturday as carefully as I could so I didn't leave any empty spots. I photographed them against a cloudy sky, over-exposing to get the blown-out white background.

Tulips

also:

Tulip bunch edited

Two weekends ago was my older nephew's fourth birthday. We found time to stop at a few nurseries on the way. This was the display of Japanese maples at the Briar Patch in Berwick:

Briar Patch Japanese maples

I couldn't stop looking at it. Well, those, the affordable peonies, and the 'Sweet Kate' Tradescantia (we bought two!). In other plant purchasing news: I think the "Kim's Knee High" coneflowers at my workplace were mislabeled at the nursery, and are actually "Green Envy." A half-open flower on a customer's plant last week got my suspicions up, and I would have kicked myself if I didn't buy one just to make sure. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Finally, we had a visitor a few weeks ago! We have had two new warblers pass through in the last week (a Magnolia Warbler and a yellow-rumped warbler pair), but this one was in the finch family - an indigo bunting! Unfortunately, he didn't stay long. Our gang of juncos were so jealous of his blue feathers, they wouldn't even let him browse the lawn. Darn juncos. At least I got one semi-decent photo before he was chased off.

Indigo Bunting

I haven't decided if I would do another Cyprus post, this one on "old things." The pictures aren't anything special, but I think I should round out the trip. Honestly, it's not really high on my priority list, but maybe someday soon.

1 comment:

Sacred Suzie said...

That is a beautiful feathered fellow! I can see why the juncos were jealous, so pretty. I haven't seen anything like him around here yet. I do love listening to the birds, they are plentiful here.

Those tulips photographs are absolutely stunning. Thanks for confirming that I had better keep my tomato plants inside for a little while longer.

I'd love to hear about your trip!