Monday, April 07, 2008

Why lawns are bad:

You can't make eye contact with grass.



I generally have a great relationship with my indoor plants, but they do get a little huffy when they're being overwatered or don't get enough light. At times like those, I, too like to have a set of googly eyes hanging around...

"A good rule of thumb is, don't turn your back on a cactus."

"If enough of these ferns launched themselves down your throat, pfft. You'd choke."

"I always knew it was gonna be the ferns."


By the way, I don't think I've mentioned my plant set-up yet! I borrowed a light stand that belongs to a woman whose newspaper I used to deliver way back when. I remember seeing it just inside her potting room when I came to collect every week, loaded up with plants, the windows of the room full of condensation. If I can have even half the success that she had, I'll be happy.

nicotiana under lights

The farthest along at the moment are the tomatoes and the nicotiana. I'm not sure if the tomatoes will make it to planting day, since they are looking a bit peaky and I don't having any experience growing them. It was a free package of seeds, so I won't mind too much if I lose them. The Sheperds scabiosa and maltese cross is up and are just putting out their true leaves. Some columbine sprouted yesterday, and I have even seen four meconopsis seedlings, although I lost two of those (par for the course, I expect). One clematis seed also came up so far. Some seeds were very old and I didn't expect much from them - the lupins, for instance, are pushing 12 years old, and might not come up, although I did get one plant from the seeds last year. Similarly, the allium might take up to 5 years to sprout, according to some internet sources! The eryngium seeds didn't look too well when I planted them, and I think I drowned them too, so I am not expecting much from them.

I do love starting plants from seed. It appeals to the plant-loving self and the thrifty self. And you feel an attachment to perennials you start from seed that is a bit more companionable than nursery-bought perennials. You feel like you're in it together, right from the start. There's more familiarity.

Before I anthropomorphize plants any further, I should go do some packing. I'm off with my mother to Cyprus for 7 days (plus 4 days travel time), and if they ever confirm our flight home (we may have to stay in London forever, how terrible ), I should be home on the 19th. They say that it is wildflower season in Cyprus, I'm so excited! I hope I will have lots of pictures to share.

1 comment:

Blackswamp_Girl said...

I like to keep an eye on my plants sometimes, too... but the thought of them keeping their eye on me is a bit unsettling! lol.

I do change my feed to "Full" every time I do a post, and then take it back off, but maybe it's not working for some reason? I admit to being dreadfully un-knowledge-able about all of these extra bells and whistles with blogs. I need to learn more.

Can't wait to see some pictures from Cyprus! :)