Sunday, November 11, 2007

Newfoundland, Part 2

After the looooong wedding day (I ended up going downtown with two of my cousins and some of the wedding party after the reception ended, and got to bed at about 5:30 a.m.), Mom and I woke up at 8:30 a.m. to start our drive back across Newfoundland. Remembering how grey and blustery St. John's looked from Signal Hill the day before (see the Newfoundland post below), the change this morning was sure to put a smile on our faces, even though the air had turned nippy.

Sunny St. John's

It was such a beautiful day, in fact, that I even got a photo of my mother sans photograph smirk.

nfld11 mom breakfast.jpg

I slept less than you would expect (and even the sleep was more of a half-awake, eyes-open, zombie state of mind - you should see the picture I took of myself. Except, you shouldn't). Our drive back across a road we had travelled only 48 hours before could have been boring, but the blue skies made everything seem fresh and vivid. We stopped to photograph this broad, shallow river full of boulders. Someone familiar with the area later told my mother that the river is like this for its entire length.

nfld12 river rocks.jpg

A lake (or pond, as it is likely to be called in Newfoundland), bog, spruce and fir, and hills, a pretty typical Newfoundland landscape, with a surprisingly intense colour palette.

nfld13 bog hills.jpg

The drive through Gros Morne was longer than I expected, with some amazing scenery and a brilliant valley rainbow (no pictures, alas!). We got in to Rocky Harbour as the sun started to set. After we dropped off our bags in our vacation cottage and stopped to turn the heat on, Mom and I walked briskly down to the waterfront to get some pictures of the sunset. I didn't get a really good picture (even this one is a bit blurry), but I did commit it to memory. It was a wonderful sunset. The air was just pulsing with the mauve and pink light, the wind was icy and bracing, and the lonely quiet of a vacation town abandoned by tourists was incredibly peaceful.

nfld14 rocky harbour sunset.jpg

The next day dawned clear and fresh, and Mom and I hit the road to explore the park by car and foot.

nfld15 gros morne morning.jpg

No comments: