Thursday, September 06, 2007

The duck that laid the golden day

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

You know your day is going to go well when you start it off by spending ten minutes watching ducks attack sunflowers at the Public Gardens. I walk through the gardens every day after I leave the archives, as it fits into my diagonal shortcut across town to the ferry. Sometimes I cut through the gardens in the morning, too. Usually the only people sharing the gardens with me at 8:20 in the morning are groundskeepers and a few other people on their way to work.

The empty gardens are a boon, because it allows me to, without embarrassment, do what I am sure you must all admit you want to do sometimes: Quack at ducks.

C'mon, you know you want to. You know that every time you see a duck waddling across your path, or blink at you as you disturb his nap, or cock her head at you looking for food, it makes you want to quack.

Well I say go ahead, do it. It will make your day. And the ducks like it too. No, really. Just don't steal their sunflower seeds. There is nothing more threatening (to a 3 year old, at least) than a team of ducks barrelling down at you looking for food. No amount of quacking will save you then.

1 comment:

jodi said...

Of course I quack at ducks! In public, too. Doesn't everyone? And they quack back. I also gobble-giggle at turkeys, squall at peacocks, and talk to crows and ravens. I find the conversations are often far more enlightening than those held with some humans....:-)