Thursday, July 12, 2007

If you give a hare a cauliflower...

He's going to ask for broccoli.

I really am going to try to get into some more regular posting soon. I want to get some Tall Ships pictures, and some more garden pictures of the garden that aren't macros, and actually show plants in situ.

Also, I haven't said much about our bunny problem yet, although chasing rabbits is one of my new pastimes. They have already decimated one planting of cauliflower and broccoli, my new columbines, chewed all my Shirley poppies down to stubs, munched on the pink allium (leaving the ugly yellow ones alone, naturally), chewed our Explorer rose to twigs and defoliated the climbing rose, bitten off my Spanish poppy blooms, the flower stalks on our heucheras, massacred one asiatic lily and the leaves along the lower foot of every other one, started on the portulaca as appetizers, munched off some immature yarrow blooms, the scarlet runner beans down to the ground, eaten half a green pepper plant, and that's just the beginning.

Cute little white head patch or not, I want them gone.

So we surrounded our lovely new raised bed garden with a rusty metal fence. Oh, it's charming. I feel bad, wishing such harm on an animal, but seriously. They are pests. Cuteness will only take them so far. I want to kick one.

Anyway, a plant they haven't gotten to: this anemone. It's my first year growing them, and I didn't know what to expect. The flowers have a definite poppy-like charm, and in this cloudy, foggy weather, are lasting quite a while. They're in the planter in front of the bay window. I love the way the afternoon light hits them.

White anemone

And of course, I forgot to mention, the peonies! My blight-prevention worked (so far), and they smell heavenly.

2 comments:

Yolanda Elizabet said...

What havoc those pesky wabbits wreak in your kitchen garden. Not nice at all.

You're not the only one who's struggling with the rabbit problem, I've come across quite a few other garden bloggers with rabbit problems too. Or they are plagued by squirrels, or deer, or, like me, by slugs and snails.

We all have our problems, don't we? ;-)

Sarah O. said...

Oh, we have all but the deer in our garden, and also skunks! They tend to leave the garden alone, though - they go for the grubs in the lawn, which is fine by me.

On the positive side, I haven't seen any earwigs yet this year, for the first time in many years. Something must have changed for the better. Hooray! I'm not a squeamish person, but they give me the creeps.