Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Nature's grace

Sometimes the best flowers in your garden are the ones you don't expect. And I don't mean weeds (we're all realists here, right? Weeds are expected). While it seems like we have had day after day of rain and fog, there have been enough pauses for me to run out and take pictures. Wildflowers are sprouting up out of the moist soil and showing the blowsy, rain-beaten tulips and other flowers the graceful beauty of small things. Cloudy days provide such lovely light for capturing woodland wildflowers. Does anyone know what these are called? I haven't taken the time to research yet.


wildflower

wildflower


The next two are my favourites:

wildflower

wildflower

I really love to look at these two in their largest size (you should be able to click on the picture to see them, and then click "all sizes," or else click my flickr badge on the right). I think the last one is a type of lily, but I could be mistaken. There is a large colony of them out by the fire pit, and I just love how they stick so close to each other, as well as that great limey yellow colour. The raindrops are also lovely, aren't they? They pretty much make up for all the mildew that I expect to see covering my plants in the next few days.

2 comments:

Margarett said...

Sarah

I love your flower pictures.

Margie

Wild Flora said...

Your photos are gorgeous, Sarah. It's hard to make a plant ID from a closeup (even if you're not ID-impaired the way I am), but I'm pretty sure the second one from the top is Starflower, Trientalis borealis; the flowers and the whorl of leaves beneath are distinctive. I'll hazard a guess that the one at the bottom, with yellow, lily-like flowers, might be Clintonia-lily or Corn Lily, Clintonia borealis. Above that, with the white flowers, might be Wild Lily-of-the-valley, Maianthemum canadense, but it could also one of the False Solomon's Seals, Smilacina spp. The Mainthemums and the Smilacinas look quite different when you see the whole plant, but I'm not good enough to distinguish from the flowers alone. The top one has me stumped: It looks a little like an Allium, but I don't think it is one. When you do get these IDed, do let us know!