Thursday, March 29, 2007

Rhetorical questions lead to blogging purposelessness

I have to admit to you all, especially after these 40 days... I sometimes feel like my blog has no purpose. Is it a nephew blog? Well who but myself wants to read that? Is it a cat blog? Right, with only one cat. It's not a history blog - I don't seem to ever write about what I'm actually writing about... And I take so few pictures lately, I can hardly call it a photoblog.

How does a little dreamer kid end up as safe, practical, "realistic" old me? Do purposes appear near the start, or halfway through? Or do you sometimes learn at the very end of something that it had purpose all along? But enough with the rhetorical questions, I'm starting to sound like Carrie Bradshaw.

I'm not the kind of person who needs a future path, with my years blocked out in terms of categorical accomplishments and the like. But at the same time, I like to have a purpose. You know, a general direction. And a life, like a blog with no purpose, well. . . Hello.

To cheer me up, and perhaps give you something new to look at, here's the blog of a friend of mine. At the same time I was stressing out about Chapters and school and working up the nerve to quit, he was looking for a way to spend the next few months. One day he said, "maybe I'll go to Guatemala" - and he actually went. To a girl who likes to hedge her bets? Very impressive. Here's his website, or you can find his link at right.



Could these be my stepping-stones of purpose?

So, what do you think? Does this blog need a purpose? Or, you know, merely a topic?

No comments: