Friday, February 23, 2007

A Taunt and a Truce: The Tale of the Cat and the Tree Rat

First off, let me apologize for the length of this post. I've been trying to find a way to hide most of it under a jump, but cannot for the life of me figure our Blogger's directions, Blogger's templates, and their (potentially) flawed code. Oy.

Now, let me tell you a tale. A tale of a cat and a rat. A tree rat, that is. A cat who sat at her window every day, lonely, forlorn, her only entertainment the occasional bird who flew by outside. And a squirrel, a well-groomed squirrel, who wandered the forest trees in search of nuts and seeds, fending off rival tree rats with a flick of his tail and a stamp of his manicured little feet. One fateful day, while looking out her big, lonely window, Livy the cat was suddenly surprised by a scratching sound, coming from below her footsies. Lo and behold,

Cat and Squirrel

Livy: Whassat? Whassat? Whassat? Friend or foe? Declare yourself!

Cat and Squirrel

Livy: Gah! Tis a wee beastie!
Squirrel: *snicker snicker*

The meeting was an eventful one, fraught with antipathy and danger.

Cat and Squirrel

Squirrel: I taunt you with my freedom! Nyah!
Livy: What a creature! The cheek!

Cat and Squirrel

Livy: Get lost! You're messin' up the view.

Cat and Squirrel

Squirrel: If I ignore it, it will go away.
Livy: I shall mesmerise it with my e y e s

Cat and Squirrel

Livy: Unh! Glass. So. Impenetrable!

Cat and Squirrel

Livy: Maybe my looming presence will conquer it.
Squirrel: No chance, kitty. Look at this bum, up against the window. This is what I think of you.

Cat and Squirrel

Livy: Seriously. What are you?

Cat and Squirrel

The cat and the squirrel eventually make an armistice. A beautiful armistice, founded on distrust and wariness.
Livy: I'm watching you.
Squirrel: Ditto, fish-breath.

Cat and Squirrel

Behold the beady-eyed vermin.

Cat and Squirrel

Squirrel: (whispering) Is it gone?
Livy: What vision do mine eyes behold?

Cat and Squirrel

Livy: Oooh, tis a bee-yoo-tiful kitty! Hello lovely lady, almost as pretty as mineself! I bestow on you the royal headbutt. Oof. Glass. So. Impenetrable!
Squirrel: Puh-lease, mayn't I have some seeds, pretty camera lady?

Cat and Squirrel

Squirrel: Wait, is that cat -- is that cat sleeping?? My mortal enemy??? In a window. When I'm 2 centimetres away. For real?
Livy: I give up.

Cat and Squirrel

And there was peace in the window, and beyond the window, and as the sun sank below the horizon, both the kitty Livy, and the tree rat, remembered their eventful day.

Livy: Being a cat is so exhausting. I need my beauty rest.
Squirrel: Cats. Pah. What an easy life. I need to go dig up some seeds.

1 comment:

Threnody said...

Okay Sarah that's one of the most adorable things I've seen in ages. Well done!

Great captions too, I was giggling through the whole thing.

You should submit this to cute overload!