Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Slash and Decorate


I'm not even halfway through my schoolwork yet, and it is looking like I'm going to have to carry an essay over Christmas. But at least one of them is going well, right? So well that I am taking a break to do some blogging.

Mom, Dad and I took the annual drive out to Clam Harbour to Keating's Christmas Tree Farm (as if New Brunswick has the monopoly on tree farms, Dee! Don't you know how many trees this province exports every year? Lots. Don't forget your roots/bluenose!

Ahem. As I was saying, we went and cut our tree. The first image, at the start of the post, is a Grey Jay, aka Whiskey Jack. Now, I have seen grey jays in Algonquin Park in Ontario, before, but this was the first one I have seen in Nova Scotia! He was a big, healthy, bright lil' corvidae, too. Since West Nile it is especially neat to see a grey jay in NS.


Ah, the obligatory tree-and-saw picture. This one is obviously posed, because the minute Mom and I agree on a tree, Dad goes at it with a mighty vengeance. You'd think it was personal.


Good ol' Keatings. The days of the family-run operation are gone, yessir, Keatings has been sold to the great tree conglomeration, Northern Lights. It's a sad, sad day, the triumph of capitalism (and retirement). It seems that the trimming machines were a little off on the lot this year - you may notice, if you click on the image to enlarge, that many of the trees resemble marshmallows this year. What ever happened to the cone-shaped tree???



And finally, Clam Harbour in the distance. We didn't stop at the beach this year, I had to get home to do schoolwork and attend the theatre (more on that later), but at least I got this view of the sea.

You can bet your boots I will be back later with pictures of the tree, fully decorated and lit, and close-ups of the various ornaments, and maybe pretty reflections of the lights in my mirror balls. Have I mentioned how much I like mirror balls? And that I found a HUGE one at the fabric store for $6? What joy!

Finally, I just wanted to mention that I DO crop, colour correct, and otherwise adjust some of my pics, so if you ever want or need to know what ones have been edited and how, drop me a line in the comments section. Also, if you read this blog, drop me a line in the comments section. I often wonder who is out there!

5 comments:

Lori said...

I'm here, but I haven't been able to leave comments on anyone's blog in a long time, so this is a test.

Lori said...

well what do you know - it worked!

Jana said...

You went to a Christmas tree farm???
We still go in to the woods and cut down a tree in out yard.

Sarah O. said...

Lol, YES, we go to a farm. Although I do prefer a tree cut in the woods, and that is what I did for my tree (in the living room) last year. This year we are back to one tree (no room in the basement for a tree this year), so in the interest of family harmony and cooperation, everyone made a compromise. I did get to put all my mirror balls on this one, AND all my bird decorations! And red feather boas, oh yes.

Mom (Cathie) said...

Just for interest sake. This is the 25th tree cut by your Dad. Yes, it even began before your time, Sarah. And I have a picture for every year. Wow! Now having said it, it seems a little odd.

Mom