Monday, November 20, 2006

"Till this moment, I never knew myself"


I've been doing Jane Austen-related quizzes to pass the time this evening, since it is too cold in my office to do work. When I do the "which heroine are you quizzes" I keep getting Elizabeth Bennet, which really annoys me since I'd rather be Anne Elliot, and end up with the dashing Captain Wentworth *swoon*. But for the "which villainess" quiz, I got Mary Crawford from Mansfield Park,
which is interesting, to say the least. I'd like to think, if I was going to be Mary, that I would be more successful at ensnaring and exposing that stupid Edmund - he's such a "Lord High Mayor of Wankerville," as the editrix over at Austenblog calls him. That way Feeble Fanny would be free of his nincompoopishness.

Also, for the "Regency Romance Quiz," I received the following analysis:

Oh dear, you are Bookish, aren't you? You are a highly intelligent and witty bluestocking, whose beauty is hidden behind spectacles. Your dress sense is eccentric and a little unfashionable, and you consider yourself plain. You have very little use for men, who find your knowledge of Shakespeare, interest in politics and forthright speech formidable. You are undoubtedly
well-off. The only reason for your presence in a novel of this kind (which, I might add, you would not dream of reading, although you have occasionally enjoyed the works of Miss Austen), is your mother, who is absolutely determined that you will make a good marriage. Rather than defying her directly, you are quietly subversive, dancing with anyone who asks you, but making no attempt to hide your intellectual interests. The only person who can get past your facade is the man who is witty enough to spar with you, and be amused at your blatant attempts to scare your suitors away. While you will, no doubt, subject him to a gruelling cross-examination to find out whether his respect for your intelligence is real or mere flattery, you may be sure that he is your match, and that you, he AND your mother will all live happily ever after.

Now I don't mind hearing that. Although they can leave out the references to my mother. If I'm an independent, witty bluestocking, why should she have a say in it?

Feather pics from my feather wreaths. The white one is still in progress.

1 comment:

Stew said...

Alas, Sarah,

I took the quiz and have been deemed: Quite Unsuitable. You are intelligent, beautiful and witty, but your father was in Trade. Or your uncle owns a gaming house. Or your brother shot himself on inheriting the estate and discovering that there was no money. You may even have been born on the wrong side of the blanket. Certainly, you are Not Quite Respectable, and will not be invited to Society parties. Fortunately for you, the man of your dreams can see past your apparent ineligibility, and is rich and powerful enough to make it stick. Although he may at first offer you an establishment of the most irregular kind (which I hope for your sake you will refuse), his thoughts will soon turn to marriage. His family, however, will be less convinced of your virtues, and they may do their best to make your life miserable when they realise he is courting you. You are, of course, too noble to let him harm his reputation by marrying you, and will probably run away from him and into trouble at least once during the novel before agreeing to marry him at the end.

I've always suspected as much,

Stewart