Sunday, August 27, 2006

Oban and Mull



It's been just over a week since I was last able to post, so I guess I will try to get through it all very quickly. I may have to refer to my journal for information!

Oban, the "Gateway to the Isles" is a very nice town on the west coast of Scotland. It has a big coliseum-type arched "memorial" at the top of the hill it sits on, from where I took this picture. It was another one of those ambitious-but-abandoned monuments from the Victorian age. Oh, Those Victorians.

I got into Oban on Sunday afternoon, and Monday morning decided to visit just the leetlest bit of Mull, Duart Castle, seat of the MacLeans for many many years. I could give you more historical background, but the castle itself was rebuilt and "restored" in the early 20th century, so naturally there is very little left to remind one of the castle's actual usefulness. Pictures weren't allowed in the castle, but if you would like to know what it looks like inside, I can direct you to the rollocking thief pic Entrapment, starring Sir Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta-Jones. Duart was Connery's home in the film.

I spent an hour on the rocks by the water, writing in my journal and enjoying the sun.

No comments: