Saturday, August 12, 2006

Departure Day

It's been a strange day, packing up and waiting around. I've eaten three shortbread cookies and had a cup of tea and that's it. Believe it or not, I finished packing with two and a half hours to spare. I've had time to tidy the house up, take out the garbage and composting, empty the kitter litter, the usual list. I've felt this combination of nervousness and excitement before, but it is hitting me more than ever that I am travelling across the ocean to wander across a beautiful country alone, with just my thoughts for company. Of course, I hope to meet lots of nifty people, and Jennifer will be there at the airport. I wouldn't want to be too adventurous too soon.

Well, here are some pictures of my last day in Porters Lake for a while. The oddest thing happened while I was packing, a Cedar Waxwing (which I haven't seen in the yard since the firethorn died) came up to the kitchen window and hovered there for about 15 seconds, just looking at me (or perhaps the spider that had built its web across the window, mmm, tasty). The weather this afternoon has also been strange, lots of sun showers and little thunderstorms when the sun is still shining. What an odd day to leave on a trip! Everything is supposed to be normal, to continue on without me - but I think Nova Scotia is going to miss me.

And if that's the case, Scotland is going to love me! (Or I'll love it).


Strange weather,
nasturtiums in the garden

No comments: