Sunday, March 06, 2016

Weekend Project - Le Petit Prince

I traced the design on to the fabric last weekend, but this project was started and finished between yesterday and today. I painted the fabric with acrylic paints before stitching him in a mix of stemstitch, backstitch, and outline stitch. I'm really happy with him.  I have to decide on a way to mount the fabric before I can mail it off as a surprise to a friend who loves Le Petit Prince.

Monday, February 15, 2016

Ship Fill Sorta-Sampler

I finished up this sorta-sampler a few days ago. My starting idea was to embroider a sperm whale and ship scene. I could tell from a google image search that it was going to be hard to find a scrimshaw or engraving that I could use for the purpose, however, since this was supposed to be a small fun project for myself inbetween other learning projects and gift projects.  I was browsing through the vintage embroidery transfer patterns on the Hoop Love Vintage Transfers Flickr group and found this pattern that was the most scrimshaw-ish of the lot.
At the same time I scaled down my idea to doing just a ship, I also came across this project on an old blog post, and google also led me to this project, which used the sails to do a sampler of embroidery fills! Awesome.

My pattern was too small to really learn much from doing each fill, but I had a lot of fun looking at tonnes of fills and stitches and making sure I had a good variety of techniques. And since it was a tiny project for myself I don't mind the imperfections in my fills... much!

I love progress photos. Bless every embroiderer and blogger who posts progress photos, I learn so much from them. So, in that vein, the progress!
Traced onto the fabric (left over from my initials project).
Starting fills
 
Fills done! Backstitching the outlines. After I was done backstitching I realized I didn't like the look of the backstitching at all, so I whipped all the stitches to give them a smoother more contained look for the fills (while watching Flight of the Conchords, so of course now whenever I whip backstitches I will relive memories of FotC. Does anyone else form these associations? I can't look at certain projects without reliving scenes from 30 Rock, or The Office, or Poirot, etc., etc).


Completed project. Kind of sweetly scruffy and askew, I think. 

Stitches: Cloud stitching, double buttonhole, herringbone, french knots, triangles, turkey work, scroll stitch, half-cretan combination stitch, square laid work, Japanese darning stitch (done very poorly, that's where my "askew" comes in), fly stitch, seed stitch. Split stitch, stem stitch, and chain stitch on the staysails. The pennants are in itty bitty satin stitch, the portholes are in forbidden stitch. Ship outlines and waves in stem stitch, and backstitch on the rigging.

Threads: DMC cotton perle 8 in white, DMC cotton perle 12 in 310 (black)

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Saturday, January 30, 2016

WiP: Veggie Shark

Almost done the veggies in his mouth! Only 17 more veggies to go after this... Oh dear.

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Mini orchard-vineyard

This summer we made it a family project to clear the front property boundary in order to plant some grape vines that we had rooted from cuttings the previous summer. This was the most reliably sunny part of the yard, as the trees shade the back and side yard too much for most fruit/veg production (our poor partly shaded vegetable garden! *sigh*). We also decided this project would be a great opportunity to finally plant some apple trees. We had been gleaning apple trees from our next door neighbour for a year or two, but he had plans to cut his trees down (they were planted by a previous owner 20+ year earlier and had started to crowd his house). The front yard is a cut-through for our local deer herd, however, so we knew we had to do something to deter this ungulate highway if the trees were to have any chance of surviving (they did sustain some deer damage over the summer but are currently protected in cages of old fishing net, which will almost certain stay for the next few years!). The solution to the deer highway was essentially a blockade -- a fence situated on the very edge of the ditch that the deer would have trouble jumping. This plan was semi-successful. One bold deer did change her habits to walk along the road and cut around the edge of the fence, but her companions cut up along the neighbour's driveway you can see in the photo below, thereby remaining ignorant of our tasty apple trees and perennials.

Here's the before:


Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Vegetarian Shark WIP

A project I started for a lovely friend with a seriously green thumb. About 4 or 5 hours of stitching in, over the course of about two weeks since I set the project up (frame/pattern design/tracing). I get distracted!